More salmon

 "The salmon-trout drifts in the stream, 

The soul of the salmon-trout floats over the stream

Like a little wafer of light."

Ezra Pound


After the trip to Orkla, I was looking forward to meeting KarlHeinz on Mandalselva. Before that, I took a short trip to a small river called Lierelva. This river is just 30 minutes drive from Oslo and is known for  seatrout and small salmon fishing. 

After 15 minutes, I got this male 1kg salmon hiding behind a stone in this small pool in Grøttedammen. I was using the same spinner as on Orkla, just little bit smaller. Hmm, I was really surprised. 
On Friday, I  finally arrived to Villmarkscamp and met KarlHeinz, who has already been fishing on the south for a few days. 
In the next 3 days we fished in Zone 3 and KarlHeinz was guiding me in an amazing style, as he knows the river very well and is always positive. Purely enjoying the possiblity to fish on this beautifull place. 
The water level was not ideal, but we were in perfect mood and I believe we made a great team. Our motto was "everything must be simple". We had a strict regime - waking up at 6:00, had a small breakfast, drove to some place, fished for 3 hours, went back to camp for a second breakfast/lunch, fished around the camp, had coffee and cake, drove to another place, fished for 3 hours and returned back to the camp to have a dinner and 1 (2) beers. It was very easy to go to bed... 
Here is KarlHeinz fishing under the cables in The cable pool. Tricky place to cast. 
Fishing was not very successfull, KarlHeinz had a couple of bites on his fly and that was all for the whole Saturday. But there were so many fish in the water and I have never seen so many big fish jumping around like in some magical salmonarium. This photo is from one of our favourite places - Finsdal
On Sunday morning I got very lucky and got this beautifull male salmon in Finsdal, on the beginning of a small rapid, where KarlHeinz had a bite a moment ago. Using the same spinner as usual. The fish is not silver, but darker - it is a sign that it has been in the river for longer time. 
Getting a fish meant that we finished this beautifull day with great dinner.

And it seems that I will transform into a flyfisherman. KarlHeinz gave me a gift - a couple of flyfishing rods with some lines and a reel. I practised to cast under his guidance and it has been just perfect experience. So challenging to coordinate the movements. I must practice a lot. Next year again! And thanks!

No comments: